Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Healthy Snacks and Desserts

My kids and my husband need dessert after a meal. Not that I don't like it myself, but I can do without. A few years ago, when I started to loose weight, I decided not to have storebought cookies and other sweets anymore. I'll buy ice cream and frozen yogourt but that's it.

Most of the time, desserts and snacks are healthy - banana bread is a staple here and I bake it at least once a week. Did you know that you can freeze bananas that are too ripe to eat and use them later? I simply place whole bananas in the freezer and put them in the microwave when I am ready to use them.

Another favorite here are Monkey Bars. I found the recipe on http://myrecipes.com/ - a site I consult almost daily. These bars are healthy, moist and delicious - a hit in this house! Here is the recipe





Monkey Bars


1/2 cup raisins

1 1/2 tablespoon rhum or apple cider

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup mash ripe banana

3 tablespoons buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large egg whites

1/3 cup chopped walnuts (I usually don't add walnuts)

cooking spray

1 teaspoon powdered sugar



Preheat the oven to 350.

Combine raisins and rhum in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute and set aside. In a bowl, combine together the dry ingredients (flour though salt) and mix well with a whisk.

Combine butter and sugar and beat with a mixer, at medium speed, until well blended. Add banana and next 3 ingredients (banana though egg whites) beating well. Add dry ingredients and beat just until combined and moist. Stir in raisin mixture and walnuts.

Spread the batter into a 8 inch square baking pan covered with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on a rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

A piece of this bar with a cup of tea or a glass of milk is delicious at any time of day! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment